Friday, March 30, 2012

Slam Magazine: Jeremy Lin. Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love.

slam magazine, jeremy lin, new york knicksslam magazine, kevin love, ricky rubio, minnesota timberwolves
I called a Lin/Rubio cover a while ago. I imagined it would be a photoshoot of the two together and how they were taking the League by storm.

Slam Magazine as always leading the basketball zeitgeist had it one better. By giving "Love" to the success of the Timberwolves core and giving attention to the biggest breakout in the league who has seemingly been unloved. While Linsanity has steadied as the Knicks adopt a new system and the Rubio show goes on ice for the Year, Kevin Love is still ruling the world. Imagine that.
SLAM 157: On Sale Now!
You could make a case—and I guess I’m about to—that these two covers are the most randomly paired covers in SLAM cover history.

That’s mostly my fault.

This all started a year or so ago, back when Kevin Love was in the midst of that epic run of 53 straight double doubles. I’ve known Kevin since his Basketball Diary days, and we’ve stayed in touch since, a symbiotic relationship in which I hit up Kevin for game tickets and he bugs me about getting on the cover of SLAM. At some point late last season, in an exchange that eventually went semi-public on Twitter, I got the blessing of EIC Ben Osborne and told Kevin that, if he could somehow average 20 and 15 for the season, we’d guarantee him a cover.

Kevin apparently thought we were serious.
Update: Jeremy Lin is out till May with a torn meniscus. Two of the hottest stories of the year extinguished through injury. Dang!

- Top 5 Knick reactions to Jeremy Lin's surprise highlights
- Lin-sanity: Kenny Smith on Jeremy Lin seizing the moment
- How long is a dream? Is Jeremy Lin's rap song a one-hit wonder?
- Ricky Rubio VS Jeremy Lin in Pictures
- My European scouting report: I was wrong on Ricky Rubio
- NBA International incident: Shaq dubs Ricky Rubio the 'Italian Pete Maravich'
- Ricky Rubio with torn ACL injury: Out for rest of NBA season and Olympics 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment