Friday, January 11, 2019

North Carolina All Stars 2019: Basketball roadtrip to Charlotte, Davidson, UNC and Duke

Hive mind: Purple Shirt Guy and the Cameron Crazies
As the clock ticked past midnight on New Year's Eve, I resolved that I'd embark on my 12th NBA city to tip off 2019. I'd been working on some zines to close out 2018 which put the Cameron Crazies on the brain. I don't put much forethought in my trips but as someone who revels in narrative, I can act quickly when things feel right. I went to Memphis for the 2017 playoffs sensing the core-4 of my favorite team would soon disband. I traveled for the inaugural NBLxNBA preseason knowing there was no better time to visit the northwest than being a part of Aussie basketball history.

All. Stars: Warriors Big5, Hornets Anniversary Team, Duke Freshmen
There were several reasons why North Carolina for February beckoned me:
  • Experiencing my first All Star weekend
  • The 30th Anniversary year of the Charlotte Hornets. Baron Davis, one of my all-time faves.
  • Duke being the must-watch basketball team of the year. Featuring the most electrifying prospect of this era in Zion Williamson, flanked by 2 sure-fire stars in RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish 
  • Now imagine that in the cauldron that is Cameron Indoor with the Crazies
  • Better yet. Imagine THAT against sworn enemies, the UNC Tar Heels for the 'Blue Blood rivalry'. Arguably the fiercest in all of sports.
  • Golden State at Charlotte was tantalising as the window to see the Durant-era Warriors was closing. This season's, Boogie edition ramping up the star power.
The star-studded North Carolina tour:
Charlotte + Davidson + Durham + Chapel Hill (Feb13 -Feb27)
Spectrum Center
333 E Trade St,
Charlotte, North Carolina 28202

NBA All Star Weekend Schedule
Fri Feb 15
- All-Star Celebrity Game presented by Ruffles
- Mtn Dew Ice Rising Stars ----------

Sat Feb 16
State Farm All-Star Saturday Night ---------- wishlist
- Taco Bell Skills Challenge
- Three-Point Contest
- Dunk Contest

Sun Feb 17
68th NBA All-Star Game ---------- wishlist

Charlotte Hornets NBA schedule
Fri Feb 22 - Washington
Sat Feb 23 - Brooklyn
Mon Feb 25 - Golden State ----------
Wed Feb 27 - Houston

Greensboro Coliseum Complex
1921 W Gate City Blvd,
Greensboro, North Carolina 27403

Greensboro Swarm
Thur Feb 28 - Westchester

John M. Belk Arena
200 Baker Dr,
Davidson, North Carolina 28035

Davidson Wildcats NCAA schedule
Fri Feb 15 - Saint Joseph's
Tue Feb 19 - Dayton ----------

Cameron Indoor Stadium
115 Whitford Dr,
Durham, North Carolina 27705

Duke Blue Devils NCAA schedule (Men's)
Sat Feb 16 - North Carolina State
Wed Feb 20 - North Carolina ---------- wishlist

Duke Blue Devils NCAA schedule (Women's)
Thur Feb 14 - Virginia Tech
Thur Feb 28 - Clemson

Dean E. Smith Center
300 Skipper Bowles Dr,
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514

North Carolina Tar Heels NCAA schedule
Sat Feb 23 - Florida State ----------
Tue Feb 26 - Syracuse

#NBApostcards: Charlotte, North Carolina
 Wallpaper (1920 x 1080)
At this stage I haven't secured tickets for the two bucket list games as both cost upwards of $1000+.
  • UNC at Duke (Wed Feb 20)
  • NBA All-Star Game (Sun Feb 17)
The cheapest available seats for the rival showdown between the Blue Devils and Tar Heels costing more than my return flight from Sydney. I'll be on the ground come game day soaking the atmosphere, hopefully winging into an experience somehow. Plans are sudden and will be on the fly. If you have any North Carolina tips or friends in the area I may connect with, let me know.

As always I'll be documenting the journey on @30HomeGames. I'm buzzing.

Find my previous wishlists and NBA road trips here:
NBL x NBA Wishlist for Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City and Phoenix
- Basketball Never Stops 2017 (Seattle and LA): NBA Roadtrip wishlist
- The South 2017: NBA Roadtrip wishlist
- Texas Triangle 2016: NBA Roadtrip wishlist
- Coolspotting: 30HG '2015 NBA RoadTrip' Champagne and Campaign spots (2 of 2)
- #30HGroadtrip on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment