Tuesday, March 31, 2020

2018 Aussie Basketball Tour: Notes from a week in Melbourne

The 2018 Australian Tour (NBL and FIBA)
Round 19, Feb 18: ILL def. MEL (94 - 84)
FIBA Qualifier 1, Feb 22: AUS def. PHI (84 - 68)
FIBA Qualifier 2, Feb 25: AUS def. TPE (88 - 68)
Melbourne was the last stop of my Aussie basketball odyssey. The FIBA qualifying calendar coincides with the end of the NBL season so I'd be hanging around to watch 2 games of International play with the Aussie Boomers as well. My plan was to watch the league leaders play the season's final round, roadtrip with a local mate down the Great Ocean Road and return in time for the FIBA games. My stay would total 8 nights in 5 different beds. A combination of hostels, AirBnBs and crashing at a mates. I'd be back home in Sydney for the start of the NBL playoffs.

Being Australia's cultural capital, I've been to Melbourne close to a dozen times for everything from wrestling, comedy and basketball. I made the trip to see freshman Ben Simmons headline his LSU Tigers against his hometown team. I've watched the Aussie Boomers play New Zealand and the PAC-12 All Stars, including exhibition games in neighbouring Bendigo.

Pre-game vibes outside Hisense and Margaret Court Arena
First up was the final round showdown between the Hawks and Melbourne United. Illawarra sat outside playoff contention at a distant fifth but looked to upset the Championship favourites. The game at then-named Hisense Arena was tight until the Hawks broke free in the final stanza. The upset victory meant I finished my NBL roadtrip on a two-game losing streak. I watched the game with my friend Dom, her first basketball game live. We would embark for the Great Ocean Road the following day.

I had a 3 day reprieve from hoops action to hit the road. The trip south allowed me to visit iconic Aussie landmarks like the Twelve Apostles and Bells Beach, as well as do some bushwalking. It also yielded some nice vintage finds. We stocked up on classic CD albums for our drive and I scored some sweet gear. Most notably a South Dragons' Shane Heal jersey.


The first of two FIBA qualifers with the Aussie Boomers was against the Philippines. Being of Filipino heritage and having experienced the fandom behind Gilas Pilipinas firsthand during FIBA Asia, I knew that the visitors would have plenty of support in Melbourne. The game was competitive to start and plenty of fun with the cheeky banter from the Gilas faithful. As many observers reported, the contest "felt more like an away game" for the Boomers. The joviality a far cry from the shameful display their following matchup on Filipino soil. That game made international headlines, tarnishing the reputation of both programs as the contest devolved into a melee which spilled into the stands. I wish people could've witnessed the good spirits of this game instead of the lasting impression from that "basket-brawl".

Philippines and Chinese Taipei fans
The following Boomers match against 'Chinese Taipei' was a bit more traditional. A home crowd experience with only pockets of Taiwanese fans in attendance. Despite Taiwan's gutsy showing after the half, the Boomers had a dominant 20 point win over the visitors. Both international qualifiers were held at Margaret Court Arena (7,500 capacity). A smaller venue compared to United's home floor (10, 500) of Hisense Arena, now named Melbourne Arena.

The main highlight of this trip was reconnecting with different hoopsheads as I criss-crossed the country. Annie and her family of Wildcats' fans, as well as German backpackers Jakob and Lars. I met them in different parts of Australia and caught up with each of them over a game. Basketball has been an invaluable way to connect — #ThisisWhyWePlay.



It was an awesome feeling completing my first set of basketball missions. I'm halfway through the NBA cities and have two more FIBA tourneys to go. I wouldn't say I'm a completionist, I just really enjoy these adventures and would like to continue having them whilst I'm able to. Its actually taken me a while to polish off these diaries. Being cooped up with this global pandemic finally giving me the impetus. I realise that I'm driven by creating and living these types of experiences. Recounting these stories whilst the world is on lockdown reminds me of the privilege I've had to explore and why it was all worth it.

Thank You Basketball.

- Follow my daily snapshots on the @30HomeGames Instagram and hashtag #30HGoztour
- Check my tour notes from Wollongong and Adelaide
- Check my tour notes from Cairns and Brisbane
- Check my tour notes from Perth and Auckland
- Check my tour notes from my week in Melbourne

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your efforts in sharing this post with us. This was really awesome. kindly keep continuing the great work.
    House Extension in Wimbledon

    ReplyDelete